Pakistan’s desi poultry farm business has grown to the 2nd largest industry, followed by the textile industry. It is a good employment source and an eye-catching sector for small business investors or entrepreneurs. Poultry provides high-quality protein at a low price. Moreover, it converts the raw nutrients into animal protein fastest. So it will help to reduce the shortage of animal protein in Pakistan. The poultry sector depends on imported parent stocks for the commercial broiler and layers.
Pakitan is importing exotic strains from different countries having a moderate temperature. These exotic germplasms are high-yielding, and their introduction into the local industry enhances the poultry industry’s progress. This exotic poultry is fulfilling the 32% national egg requirement and 15% of meat requirement. Moreover, the Desi poultry farm business in Pakistan in 2023 has more potential to grow.
You can start a Desi poultry farm in rural areas, and your cost of production will remain low compared to the commercial Desi poultry farm because, in rural areas, Desi poultry can feed themselves for the whole day. Furthermore, their feed can contain insects, field grain, green matter, kitchen waste, earthworms, homestead pickings, and crop residue. People of Pakistan like to eat Desi poultry meat and egg.
Now we will discuss the raw materials ad their cost to start a Desi poultry farm business in Pakistan in 2023. First, we will discuss the raw material required and then the vaccination schedule for the desi poultry. Finally, we will discuss the Desi poultry types available in Pakistan in 2023. Here we are enlisting the investment required to start the Desi poultry farm business in Pakistan in 2023.
Table of ContentsToggle Table of Content
Desi poultry farm business plan
we are sharing desi poultry farm business plan for 1000 chicks.
- Chicks are available at Rs 25/pc
- 1.5ft2 area is required for one hen to get egg production
- 1.5 ft2 X 1000=1500ft2
- 1ft2 cost is about Rs 300
- For 1500 ft2 amount required is 450000
- It would be best to construct a shed in a long shape from east to west due to air pressure and sun direction. The width of the shed remains 35ft.
- 1 Feed bowl is enough for 40 chicks.
- For 1000 chicks, 25 bowls
- One plastic feed bowl price is Rs 150
- 25 bowls price is 3125
- One water bowl is enough for 20 chicks
- For 1000 chicks, water bowls are 50
- The price of 1 water bowl is 100
- 50 water bowl price is 5000
- For egg production, the percentage of cock should be 10% for better egg result
- A tiny chick takes 5g per day feed, and a hen-laying egg grabs 100g feed per day.
- It would be best if you covered the shed for biosecurity, and no one should allow entering the hut.
We discussed essential requirements and recommendations to start a Desi poultry farm business in Pakistan in 2023. After these recommendations, The more important part of a Desi poultry farm is to protect Desi poultry from pandemics that attack poultry at different ages.
Now we will list the age and vaccination required to protect the Desi poultry from the pedantic.
Read about Business under 1 Lakh, Click on the following link.
Desi poultry Vaccination schedule
|One day old||Mareks|
|5 to 7 days old||ND ( Rani Khet) + IB|
|8 to 12 days old||Gumboro|
|18 to 20 days old||Gumboro|
|22 to 22 days old||ND ( Rani Khet) ( Lasota)|
|32 to 34 days old||Gumboro|
|38 to 40 days old||ND ( Rani Khet) ( Lasota)|
|7th week age||Fowlpox|
|8th week age||Coryza|
|11th week age||ND ( Rani Khet) + IB|
|14th week age||Coryza|
|16th week age||ND ( Rani Khet) + IB + EDS|
|After every two month||ND ( Rani Khet) ( Lasota)|
The next step is discussing the types of Desi poultry available in Pakistan in 2023 and their specifications.
Read about business ideas for students in Pakistan, click on the following link.
Types of Desi poultry breed in Pakistan
The first exotic breed is Fayoumi, imported from Egypt in 1978 and 2016. The characteristics of this exotic breed are listed below.
- They have adaptability, Scavenging ability, and good livability
- They take less feed compared to Rhode Island Red
- They have a smart chest and body, and a single comb
- They are lightweight (1.6 Kg to 2 Kg)
- They have an age maturity of 129 days
- They have 178 egg production in a year on average
- Their egg size is small
- The egg weight is 45.9g on average
- They have 78% hatchability (Egg production ability)
Rhode Island Red
.The next exotic breed that we will discuss is Rhode Island Red. This exotic breed was imported from America in 1998 and 2016. The characteristics of this exotic breed are listed below.
- They are good scavengers. However, they are highly temperature sensitive
- They take extra feed in comparison to the Fayoumi
- They have a large size of comb and a broad chest
- They are lightweight (3 to 3.8 Kg OR 2.5 to 3 Kg)
- The maturity age is 136 days
- Egg weight, on average, is 50g
- Egg production, on average, is 208 eggs per year
- 75% hatchability (Egg production ability)
Desi is the native poultry breed and bears local temperature and humidity conditions in a well-managed way. The characteristics of this exotic breed are listed below.
- They are in different strains like Desi silky, Desi black, and light brown
- They have a lightweight (1.6 Kg Or 1.2Kg)
- Egg production, on average, is 119 eggs per year
- Egg weight, on average, is 45.5g
- Greater than 80% hatchability (Egg production ability)
Black Australorp is an exotic poultry breed Pakistan imported from Australia in 1978 and 2016. The characteristics of this exotic breed are listed below.
- Their color is black and white, which is not attractive to rural people.
- The maturity age is 134 days
- They are also lightweight (2.5 to 3.0 Kg, OR 3 to 3.5 Kg)
- The egg is white, which is also not attractive according to a Desi egg myth
- Egg production, on average, is 206 eggs per year
- Egg weight, on average, is 49.9g
- 79.9% hatchability (Egg production ability)
Nacked neck is also a native breed and bears hot temperatures and high humidity. The characteristics of this exotic breed are listed below.
- They are good scavengers and have high immunity. That’s why they have high resistance to the high-temperature and diseases
- They have hooked nails and stout legs, which help them in scavenging
- The size of the crop is small as compared to the other breeds, and Hollow feather joints
- The maturity age is 146 days
- Egg weight, on average, is 42g
- Egg production, on average, is 128 eggs per year
- 75% hatchability (Egg production ability)
- Aseel has an excellent quality to produce meet.
- Plymouth Rock and White Cornish ancestors
- Pea comb and long neck
- Broad and short breast
- Strong and long legs
- Straight back
- People use them for cockfighting
- Egg production, on average, is 40 to 60 eggs per annum
- They have five types (Mianwali, Peshawari, Lakha, Sindhi, and Mushki)
- They are used for research purposes to enhance meat production by exploiting the genetic potential of UVAS and PRI
The tool used to develop a chicken’s commercial breed is known as a cross-breed. Furthermore, we use it for the improvement of rural poultry farms. We carry out cross-breeding in different ways like four-way, three-way, or two-way cross, and rational or back cross. We conduct two-way cross-breeding using a local and improved exotic breed to get enhanced meat and egg production and strong immunity against diseases and harsh weather conditions. The cross-breading also improves the hybrid vigor and heterosis expression. Due to cross-bread, research institutes detect enhanced fitness, sexual maturity, egg quality, viability traits, meat, and egg production.
Now we will discuss the phenotypic characteristics that the research institute observed.
- These cross-breed chicken have reduced chest width concerning their parents, which help them to have less contact with the temperature, wind, and extreme environment.
- They are also smaller than the Black-Australop and Rhode Island Red breeds. Due to their small size, they protect themselves from hunters.
- They also have a small comb size which has the advantage of minor injury and protects them from predators.
Development of UniGold The new breed developed for egg-laying poultry production for the backyard is named UniGold. Punjab Agriculture Research Board (PARB) provided funds to the University of Agriculture Faisalabad to develop this breed and successfully created the UniGold breed. Locally available adapted and indigenous breeds are used for primary colors. Nacked neck and full neck have been produced. At the same time, they are tested in southern and central Punjab under medium and low input to check their performance. The egg production, on average, is 220 eggs per year recorded. Whereas the egg is colored, the egg weight is 50g.
1 thought on “Desi Poultry farm business plan in Pakistan in 2023”
Pingback: 12 Small Most Profitable Business in Pakistan to start in 2023 - Business Dream
Comments are closed.